RE: [Diffserv] Model - queues - replacement text

Andrew Smith wrote:

> Grenville,
>
> There's no point in forming a queue for a bus if there's
> no scheduling
> algorithm implied for when the bus comes along. Or are
> Ozzie bus queues like
> French ski-resort cable-car queues: form a nice neatly
> ordered queue and
> then have a mad random-access scramble when the vehicle
> arrives. :-)

Actually, there is. The queue is used for buffering only. I suppose
you can call that "scheduling," but it really isn't. Buffering means
you're holding something until the next stage is ready. Scheduling
means you're holding something for transmitting at some
predetermined time.

Thinking back at queueing theory courses, I also remember what Dan
mentioned, but I think that things like service and arrival times
can be considered to be outside influences _on_ the queue, which
affect the behavior _of_ the queue, rather than effects caused by
the queue itself.

Semantics, semantics. I am sort of agreeing with Grenville here.

Bert
albert.e.manfredi@boeing.com