Re: [Diffserv] Model - queues - replacement text

> Andrew,
>
> Yes :-)
>
> And as you so nicely demonstrate in your example, the
> queueing system is "queue plus scheduling". A queue
> provides the 'place to wait', scheduling provides
> the 'when to leave'. (And I supposed discard can be
> considered the 'leave via the secret trap door in
> the floor' :-)

Actually, it's the secret police, who are instructed to either:
a) shoot everybody standing behind a line on the floor
b)  when, on average, people get backed up behind a line on the floor, start
shooting people at random, in the expectation that they won't have children
who will ultimately also stand in line
c) same, except start shooting people who already have large families when the
queue is short, and start shooting everybody else when the queue is longer
d) when people get backed up behind a line on the floor, shoot people at the
head of the queue.
e) shoot people according to some other algorithm which is proprietary to the
local dictator.

:-)

(yeah, I know, I've oversimplified RED and RIO.  But the metaphor is apt.)