RE: [Diffserv] QoSSIG BOF

Lixia,

thanks for your honest response, I think this is the right attitude what
we need for making QoS signaling happen.

> I agree that the current RSVP is complex.
> I would also like to point out that RSVP did not start as complex, but
> ended up there.

I believe that and think the same would happen if all the "QoSsig" funs
started to melt their stuff for getting The ultimate QoS protocol.

> Over all these years participating in IETF ever since the very first
> meeting, I've seen many best people put in their best effort in dealing
> with Internet problems and developing solutions. However I must admit that
> I have not found this process the right place to produce *simple* protocols.

But does it mean that IETF is not the right place for standardizing QoS
signaling for IP?

> For those who want a simple protocol: I am all for it, just that experience
> has shown that setting up a BOF/WG is NOT the way to reach you goal.  My
> personal suggestion would be to lock the door with a few friends till the
> design is finished, then it'd be a better time to run a BOF to convince
> others to go with you.

Many groups from my previous list started with a silent design period
and made a prototype for verification. I think it is time for synchronizing
theese works and check where are the limits of QoS signaling and what
is the cost of different functionality.

I may be super naive but still believe in that IETF can provide a forum for
discussing a common framework for QoS signaling in future internet and
reviewing the vigorous alternatives.

BR
Istvan

                Istvan Cselenyi
 Telia Research AB           Phone: +46-8-7138173
 Vitsandsgatan 9 B431          Fax: +46-8-7138199
 S-12386 Farsta            Mobile: +46-70-3228801
 Sweden        E-mail: Istvan.I.Cselenyi@telia.se