Going forward - IETF work on internal process reform

 The IESG presented some proposals for concrete next steps in the work of
 making the IETF work better in Minneapolis:

 - Aiming for more functional differentiation
     (iesg-overview.pdf)
 - Changing the roles of the WG Chairs
     (iesg-wgchairs.pdf)
 - Instituting more mechanisms for early cross-area review
     (iesg-review.pdf)

 (all presentations are available from
 http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/nov2003-minneapolis/)

 After the IETF, the IESG will continue to encourage work on these ideas,
 working with the community to achieve a better IETF.

 FEEDBACK FROM THE PLENARY

 We got a lot of feedback from the community at the plenaries - the overall
 feedback was that people liked the ideas, had concerns with some aspects of
 them, and were quite eager to discuss the ideas further before making
 permanent changes to the way the IETF works.

 At the Thursday plenary, we did some straw polls of the room - my rough
 estimates on the responses were that almost everyone who stated an opinion
 favoured working on review mechanisms, and a large majority favoured
 working on the WG chair role (approx 60% in favour, with 10% being
 skeptical, and 30% not having an opinion). The approx. 27 people who spoke
 at the mike raised a number of specific issues; we will attempt to address
 these in the continued work on the proposals raised.

 Among the speakers at the mike, several were concerned with the speed of
 change - whether the organization would be able to absorb the amount of
 changes we proposed placing on it - and several concerned with the
 possibility of unintended side effects of the changes we proposed.

 Moving quickly is less important than moving with community consensus.
 But move we must, recognizing that we have to make evolutionary changes in
 the manner in which we work together to achieve useful outcomes for the
 IETF, allowing for the community to provide overall direction to the
 process.

 (Minutes of the plenary are on
 http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/nov2003-minneapolis/plenary-notes.txt)

 NEXT STEPS

 The IESG is making the following recommendations:

 - Open community discussion of the proposals is encouraged, and welcome.
 The list solutions@alvestrand.no (solutions-request@alvestrand.no to
 subscribe, Mailman conventions) will be used for the initial discussion;
 soon, specific efforts will create their own mailing lists as needed.

 - The further work will involve community discussion, more detailed
 proposals, and experiments (as far as the current rules permit).
 We will continue to pursue the WG-chair and Review proposals.

 - We will continue to make our plans in an open conversation with the
 community.

 As always, we welcome other proposals from the community.