Re: Proposed IPv6 DNS Discovery Requirements

At Tue, 30 Apr 2002 08:07:14 -0400, Brian Haberman wrote:

> Actually that is an incorrect statement.  The IPv6 addressing
> architecture forbids the use of an anycast address as the source
> address.  So, the response back from the anycast member will have
> one of its unicast addresses as the source address.  So, it is
> similar to your multicast request/unicast response model.

Sorry, back up.  I assumed that this proposal intended to change that
restriction, since with that restriction in place the resolvers won't
be able to match up the responses they get with the queries they sent
and anycast DNS won't work at all.  Perhaps this week's version of the
proposed solution for this is something that walks and quacks like an
anycast route but is called something else so that you can use it as a
source address.  I don't really care either way, it's still an anycast
route in all but name.

Apologies in advance if this sounds grumpy, it's not intended that
way, I just haven't had enough coffee yet today. :)