RE: IPv6 w.g. Last Call on "IPv6 for Some Second and Third Genera tion Cellular Hosts"

Itojun,

  > >=> I've never seen that in any spec.
  > >I guess you are saying that it's needed for L2
  > >switches that snoop MLD messages to decide
  > >on mcast forwarding of mcast ethernet frames?
  > >
  > >If so, then we don't have this situation in
  > >cellular networks. What we're dealing with is
  > >a p2p link with no multicast capability.
  >
  > 	even under the above situation, there's no such clause
  > that permits
  > 	omission of MLD in RFC2710 (MLD).  if you have any
  > reference please
  > 	let me know, i'm interested in knowing the rationale
  > for the claim.

=> I don't understant :(. RFC2710 does not say that
MLD MUST be implemented in all IPv6 nodes. There is
no statement in any IPv6 document that says anything
equivalent. So our interpretation is that it is not
mandatory, it's optional. I don't think that the lack
of a clear statement saying 'MLD is mandatory' should
imply that it is mandatory. Mandated protocols are
clearly stated in their respective RFCs (e.g. ICMPv6).

So when is MLD needed? I will copy a paragraph from
the intro of 2710:

   "The purpose of Multicast Listener Discovery (MLD) is to enable each
   IPv6 router to discover the presence of multicast listeners (that is,
   nodes wishing to receive multicast packets) on its directly attached
   links, and to discover specifically which multicast addresses are of
   interest to those neighboring nodes.  This information is then
   provided to whichever multicast routing protocol is being used by the
   router, in order to ensure that multicast packets are delivered to
   all links where there are interested receivers."

Note the underlined text. If no discovery is needed, because
the addresses are hard coded, then no MLD needed for those
addresses.
Makes sense?

Hesham