RE: 6to4 and 2002:PRIV:ATE [RE: A use for site local addresses?]

On 27 Mar 2003, Mika Liljeberg wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 19:00, Pekka Savola wrote:
> > > Well, yes but these nodes are only routers. Hosts MUST NOT have any 6to4
> > > pseudo-interfaces (or have it deactivated).
> >
> > There is no such statement anywhere that I know of.  Please correct me if
> > I'm wrong.  Hosts indeed have 6to4 pseudo-interfaces.
>
> You're right. However, I think it's just common sense that a host, which
> sets up a 6to4 pseudo interface by default, should also automatically
> disable it if a router is sending RAs with 2002:xyz:: prefixes.
> Otherwise the host implementation is broken.

Maybe, maybe not.  In many cases, the node implementations include both
host and router behaviour.  In such case, automatically disabling
something may not be the best option.

This may be something worth fleshing out when/if we progress 6to4 to DS
at some point :-)