Misusing registries for uniqueness (was Re: Draft on Globally UniqueIPv6 Local Unicast Addresses)

Hi Benny,

Benny Amorsen wrote:
[part snipped]
> By the way, I am not very fond of the MAC-address method. If we are into
> misusing other registries, we could turn a phone number into hexadecimal
> (including the international prefix.) 12 digits can be stored in 40
> bit...

It's not that dumb an idea, it reminds me of
base-85 (RFC-1924) IPv6 addressing notation.

It certainly does solve the uniqueness issue
for any given instant.  What happens if you
're-number' your telephone?

Greg
:)