Re: Fourth alternative [was Re: Moving forward ....]

Bob,

I am sorry, but while it is a good attempt to come up with a happy
medium between SLs and global addresses, I disagree with the approach
that draft-hinden-ipv6-global-local-addr-02.txt takes.  I would prefer
an approach that makes the stability of the IP address less important
rather than attempting to stablize it (a seemingly lost cause).

What this means to me is that first we need to promulgate something
along the lines of draft-baker-ipv6-renumber-procedure-00.txt.  It needs
some expanding to further automate the process.  The more we automate
the less pain the network manager will feel during a renumbering event.

This changes the problem from one of a scoped address to one of a
standard default and reduces any ambiguity that we might have.  It
leaves open the question of how to find a name server, and how a name
server finds you, but the former can be found with SLP, and the latter
can then be handled with DDNS.

I'd like to put Fred on the spot (not having asked him) and propose that
his draft be adopted as a WG doc.

Eliot