Re: What to do with FEC0? [was Re: Moving forward on Site-Local and Local Addressing

Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>That's an interesting expectation. As co-author of the planned
>deprecation draft, I'd been assuming a more classical deprecation
>action, in which we would simply state the previous semantics of
>FEC0::/10, state that the prefix SHOULD NOT be used, but leave it
>permanently assigned by IANA.
>
>This would break nothing that runs today.

Would a new implementation then be permitted to not implement the
site-local semantics?  The above sounds like full implementation would
remain mandatory, which makes deprecation less of a win than it could be.
Perhaps the question is: are we deprecating the use or the implementation
of site-locals?  Perhaps we are deprecating both to different degrees?

-zefram