Re: What to do with FEC0? [was Re: Moving forward on Site-Local and Local Addressing

At 06:07 PM 8/5/2003 +0200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
>That's an interesting expectation. As co-author of the planned
>deprecation draft, I'd been assuming a more classical deprecation
>action, in which we would simply state the previous semantics of
>FEC0::/10, state that the prefix SHOULD NOT be used, but leave it
>permanently assigned by IANA.
>
>This would break nothing that runs today.
>
>What do people think?

The meaning of "deprecated" was discussed both in the meeting and
on the mailing list as indicating that the prefix would NOT be
reallocated.  So, I think that the prefix should be set-aside as
deprecated and reserved...

Otherwise, we could have some enterprises receive global allocations
in space that some implementations treat as site-local addressing.
Not good.

Margaret