RE: Moving forward on Site-Local and Local Addressing

"Bound, Jim" <jim.bound@hp.com> wrote:

|The hinden draft has no impact because of "scoping" at all technically
|for implementation that was the point.  So the problem is far simpler
|and why it is good solution.
|
|What scoping issue do you see?

I didn't say I see a "scoping issue."  I see an issue with removing
site-locals without first providing a replacement that offers the same
(or greater) capabilities.  This is particularly important because there
is no clear agreement on what capabilities site-locals currently offer.
Many site-local detractors argue that site-locals don't provide any
"legitimate" capabilities at all, presumably because scoped addressing
is not itself "legitimate."  If site-locals are removed before we see
their replacement, I have every expectation that some folks will argue
(loudly) that the correct replacement is no replacement.  In the less
extreme case, it seems that subtle combinations of the random restrictions
being suggested for replacements may thwart one or more of the uses that
I expected for site-locals.  Finally, I'm concerned that any solution might
be seen as necessary only for the mythical "enterprise" and thus be cost-
prohibitive for the small business and home user.  We really need so see the
replacement first...

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com

|/jim

|> |
|> |Note:  In the above choices "Deprecate Site-Local addresses" means
|> |publishing an RFC that does the formal deprecation.
|> |