Re: draft-hain-templin-ipv6-limitedrange-00.txt

Michel Py wrote:

> Brian,
>
> > Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> > And the fact is that enterprise network managers are
> > very happy to have a class of addresses that cannot be
> > globally routed and are filtered by default as bogons
> > by all ISPs.
>
> You forget that the very reason RFC1918 addresses are filtered as bogons
> is precisely because they are ambiguous.

Well, with RFC 1918 there is no way to disentangle the notion of
"private" from the notion of "ambiguous". So I don't think this
is relevant.

> > So they just love RFC 1918 addresses for that, and
> > hate them for their ambiguity (since that creates a
> > mess when they have to be routed anyway, e.g. on VPNs).
> > The main point of this draft, as far as I'm concerned,
> > is to convey this requirement, which isn't met either
> > by PA prefixes or the old SL prefix.
>
> The requirement was met fine by the SL prefix; the only reason they
> still are ambiguous is because both Bob and I put our drafts to remove
> ambiguity from SLs on the back burner due to the deprecation situation.

Sure, at one level it doesn't matter whether the limited addresses
are FEC0:xxxx::/48 or as proposed in draft-hinden. I think it's
better for existing code to leave FEC0::/10 reserved and deprecated,
but that's a secondary argument.

   Brian