Re: set Global ID field to SHA hash of domain name

On vrijdag, sep 12, 2003, at 11:07 Europe/Amsterdam, George Gross wrote:

> 	At the risk of triggering another firestorm of pro/con debate, is
> there any reason why the centrally assigned Global ID defined by
> hinden-ipv6-global-local-addr-02.txt could not be simply the low-order
> 40
> bits of a SHA hash of a domain name? i.e. if you own the domain name,
> you
> get the IP-v6 global ID for "free"? This would side step the angst of
> setting up yet another global registry...

Hm, with 2^40 possible prefixes and already something in the order of
2^25 domains in use, I expect collisions will be a definite factor. I
would also be interested in seeing how the SHA-1 algorithm holds up.
Anyone care to get a suitably large list of domain names (a million or
so) and do some statistics on the lower 40 bits of the associated SHA-1
hash?

It did occur to me that the domain name sellers are in a better
position to give out these prefixes than the traditional IP address
registries, though. Especially if you consider that they'd just be
selling domain names under c.f.ip6.arpa.  :-)