Re: IPv6 w.g. Last Call on "Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses"

Brian Haberman wrote:
>	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipv6-unique-local-01.txt

That should be draft-ietf-ipv6-unique-local-addr-01.txt.

Section 3.1 is still written from the point of view of having no
definitely determined format prefix, which is appropriate for discussion
but not in a Proposed Standard.  It should be changed to state exactly
what prefix is to be used.  I don't think anyone's objected to fc00::/7.

Section 3.2: "The Global ID is split into two parts for each type of
allocation." should be "The Global ID space is split into two parts,
one for each type of allocation.".

Section 3.2.2/3.2.3: I *think* I understand what is intended by the phrase
"a functionally similar algorithm", but I think it would be worthwhile
giving a second example algorithm, to give some idea of the latitude
that is intended.  My understanding is that "(ntpdate -qd localhost;
ifconfig) | md5sum | cut -c1-10" would be an acceptable implementation,
although it differs in many details from the algorithm of section 3.2.3.

Section 3.2.4: the probabilities quoted such as "4.54**-11" are presumably
intended to be "4.54*10^-11" and so on.

All the top-leve section numbers have a ".0" appended that doesn't
belong there.

-zefram
--
Andrew Main (Zefram) <zefram@fysh.org>