RE: "RFC 2461bis" issue: DNS configuration

 > I haven't been on this list very long so I'm unaware of the
 > reasons to
 > revisit 2461 and I don't know whether the following issue has been
 > discussed, but:
 >
 > Why is there no mechanism to learn DNS addresses through router
 > advertisements?
 >
 > It is currently possible to attach a host to a link with one or more
 > IPv6 routers and have the host automatically discover all the
 > paramaters needed to connect to the IPv6 internet... except DNS
 > servers.
 >
 > This is the absolute number one annoyance when running IPv6.

=> A couple of years ago there was a DT that compared several
different ways of achieving this. The proposal you mentioned
was one of those addressed. The DT settled on assigning
3 different site-local addresses that can be reserved for
DNS servers. The solution was documented in a draft (I believe
Itojun, Alain and Dave Thaler co-authored it). But this idea
didn't get concensus in the WG and I think the draft is dead
now but I'm not sure. DHCPv6 allows for DNS configuration in
hosts among other things.

Hesham