Re: v6ops-v6onbydefault: link-locals and AI_ADDRCONFIG

On Oct 28, 2003, at 9:41 PM, Tony Hain wrote:

>>  - does this seem like a  problem, that is, should getaddrinfo() +
>>    AI_ADDRCONFIG perform AAAA DNS queries etc. if
>>    the node only has v6 link-local/loopback addresses?
>
> It is not a problem if you follow addr selection rules and prefer
> matching
> scopes. This will cause IPv4 to be used if there is only a LL, trying
> talk to a AAAA global.

Not always. read our 2 drafts, this is clearly explained. If you have a
case where
IPv6 src= LL, IPv6 dst = GL
IPv4 src= SL (rfc1918), IPv4 DST = GL
(This is a typical case of a host behind a NAT box)
Default address selection will choose the impossible v6 path.

	- Alain.