Re: v6ops-v6onbydefault: link-locals and AI_ADDRCONFIG

[...]
> - IMHO, getaddrinfo()'s job should be to report what is in DNS, not to try to
>   coerce apps into behaving well.  So even though apps shouldn't be using
>   link-local addresses, and even though people shouldn't list link-local
>   addresses in DNS, getaddrinfo() should not try to hide such addresses from
>   apps if they happen to appear in DNS.

I can sympathize with your opinions. I think two things are needed:

o A standard call that most applications can use in a simple way. IMHO it
  should query DNS, other name services, /etc/hosts etc.

o A standard call that applications can use to check what is in DNS

The first should IMHO be something like getaddrinfo() where applications
simply try the addresses in the order they are returned. I also think it
should be possible for an administrator to define which name services
should be used, which type of addresses should be returned, and the order.

Another matter is what the API should be. Most IPv6 enabled applications
today use getaddrinfo(), while specialized DNS applications like "host"
use their own resolver routines. So I would say that getaddrinfo()
without special arguments would be good for the general applications.
For the DNS applications one could use getaddrinfo() with a new option,
or a completely new call. It's easier to change the few DNS applications
that are out there.

Stig