Re: IPv6 w.g. Last Call on "Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses"

Itojun,

>         i object to publish this document as a standard track document.
>         experimental would be more preferable.

I don't agree.  I think this is appropriate for standards track.

>         unique local IPv6 unicast address avoids some problems of site-local,
>         but not all; there are major problem still remains.
>         - it is not expected to be routable, however, it will be treated
>           as if it is a global address.  therefore it is likely to be
> leak out.
>           1.0 asserts that "even if it leaks out there's no conflict", but
>           "no conflict" is not enough - we do need to be 100% sure there's no
>           leak out, otherwise it is unacceptable.

I don't think we have to be 100% sure.  Overall I think it is much better
to have a well known non-ambiguous prefix that we can have a reasonable
likely hood that it is filtered.

>         - operationally, there's a much easier way to get a block of address
>           which has the features unique local IPv6 unicast address has;
>           it is to use 6to4 address prefix (2002:v4v4:v4v4::/48).  as long as
>           you do not renumber IPv4 address and IPv6 address at the same time,
>           6to4 address will give you enough address for the suggested use of
>           unique local IPv6 unicast address.  moreover, 6to4 address are
>           routable (though there's tunnelling overhead if outsiders are to
>           contact 6to4 address accidentally).  there is no need to define
>           unique local IPv6 unicast address.

This approach doesn't work well for disconnected sites who may not have a
global IPv4 address.  I suspect they would use Net 10 IPv4 addresses.  This
would, of course, result in ambiguous prefixes like site-local.  Something
we are trying to move away from.

Bob