Re: IPv6 w.g. Last Call on "Unique Local IPv6 Unicast Addresses"

On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 09:36:29PM +1100, Geoff Huston wrote:

> After thinking about this and looking at the evident need to make some
> progress
> here I'd like to believe that this level of resolution of potential
> ambiguity
> is adequate, given that there is always the option to use a central
> registry draw to
> obtain a global id that is assuredly unique.

I think we will see a lot of people using fd00::/48 or fd00::/64 for
their sites/links purely becuase it's less effort to type.

Ideally if deployments were as plug and play as they might be, then this
would not be as likely.

We thus need simple methods by which networks can be deployed and easily
use a pseudo-random local prefix generated under fd00::/8.   I could
foresee a "generate pseudo-random prefix" button on my home DSL router's
web config screen, but the more important case is more likely the larger
hierarchically routed enterprise?   Presumably an admin would use parallel
subnet numbering for their globally unique 2001:xxxx:xxxx::/48 prefix and
fd00::/48 prefix, if they chose to have site-local addressing for stable
internal communications.

Tim