Re: Question regarding router redirect

Bhaskar S wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a question regarding IPv6 router redirect. Can an IPv6
> router send a redirect for a particular route?
>
> Here is a situation:
> (It is assumed that no routing protocol is being run)
>
>                Internet
>                    R1
>    +---+-----------+------+-----+
>        |                  |
>       R2                  H1
>       H2
>
> Let us say Router R1 is the default router for H1. R1 connects
> H1 to internet (IPv6). Also Router R1, R2 and H1 are all on the
> same link. H2 is connected to Router R2. If host H1 wants to
> reach H2 can router R1 redirect it to R2 for this particular
> route?

Yes, R1 will tell H1 that R2 is a better next hop.

> Or will H1 be able to learn about H2 from R2 router
> advertisements?

R2 shouldn't advertise on that (upper) link.

/Mattias

This communication is confidential and intended solely for the addressee(s). Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you believe this message has been sent to you in error, please notify the sender by replying to this transmission and delete the message without disclosing it. Thank you.

E-mail including attachments is susceptible to data corruption, interruption, unauthorized amendment, tampering and viruses, and we only send and receive e-mails on the basis that we are not liable for any such corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses or any consequences thereof.