Re: ASN-based prefixes for leaf ASes

Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> Thus spake "Bill Manning" <bmanning@ISI.EDU>

> > actually, I think it is imprudent to not include the
> > RIR public policy fourm in any discussions on new address
> > assignment plans.  YMMV of course.
>
> I agree and invite input from ARIN members.  NOTE: Please include in your
> comments whether you're a leaf or non-leaf AS.

I didn't mean to imply that input from the RIRs was unwanted - on the contrary,
input from them is essential. I did mean to say that the basic technical consensus
on whether we should go in this sort of direction at all needs to be formed here
(IETF) and that is why I made an analogy with the early history of CIDR.

fwiw I'm not convinced that ASN-based prefixes are a good idea, for reasons that
others have stated.

  Brian