RE: ICMPv3: Message Source Address Determination..

Jinmei,

I agree that we should not try to remove already
documented features in recycling work if it is
not causing any harm.

But the current RFC says "If the node has more than one
unicast address, it must choose the Source Address of the
message as follows:".  It is not MUST in all caps but
if an implementation is not using point (c) to determine
the source IP address, can we say that the implementation
is not conformant with the RFC ?

I don't seem to understand the logic in that point. Let say
we have the following network.

(...) <-- I1 --> A <-- I2/I3/I4 --> (...)

and A receives a packet on I1 that needs to be forwarded to
one of I2/I3 or I4.  The packet forwarding fails because A
does not have a route for the destination.  Now A generates
the ICMP error.  Is the point (c) suggesting to use the src
address from I2, I3 or I4 ? Or it is suggesting to use the
src from I1 ?  From the text, it seems like it suggests to
use the src address of the interface where the packet should
have been forwarded but as we don't have a route, we don't
know where it was to be forwarded.

I think, most of the implementations would use the src
address of I1 in this case.

So my question is that is it ok to leave this point as
"required" in the RFC if noone will be able to implement
it ?

Regards
Mukesh