Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-over-ppp-v2-00.txt

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 Internet-Drafts@ietf.org wrote:
> This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the IETF.
>
> 	Title		: IP Version 6 over PPP
> 	Author(s)	: S. Varada, D.Haskins
> 	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipv6-over-ppp-v2-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 0
> 	Date		: 2004-6-3
[...]
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-over-ppp-v2-00.txt

This doc needs serious editorial brush-up since the policies etc. have
changed since time times of RFC2472.

A few things I noted:

 - many typos in the old text have been introduced since RFC2472 (was
editing done based on pre-publishing I-D version, not the one edited
by the RFC-editor).  Easily findable using 'wdiff' or the like.
 - the abstract contains a reference, which is disallowed;
 - the abstract is probably too long, it should be about one paragraph
of 5-10 lines or so.
 - there are a couple of instances of lines going beyond 72 chars
 - the boilerplates and in front and at the end need to be updated to
RFC3668.
 - there appear to be (some) hyphenations at the end of lines, which
shouldn't be done.
 - the references need to be split to informative/normative (remember
that normative must not include other than BCPs and Draft Standards or
there will be a problem)
 - some characters seem to have been substituted for something weird,
like '"' for '=93' or '=94'.  Again, 'wdiff' is your friend here.
 - nowadays the security considerations section might require a bit
more beef.

All in all, this smells like a quick update, text-editing the old RFC
and not using proper tools such as xml2rfc.  This will probably prove
short-sighted.

Not commenting on the technical content at this point.