Re: WLAN (was Re: IPv6 Host Configuration of Recursive DNS Server)

George Gross;

> Reliable Minimum Spanning Tree (RMST). RMST is a unicast-based alternative
> to multicast flooding.

The basic strategy is to use frequent beacon to advertise
exsistence of entities with optional piggy-backed information
and use unicast to exchange further information.

For infrastructure WLAN with a single base station, the tree should
be a star with the base station at its center, which means the base
station unicasts multicast packets to others. Things get more
complicated if there are multiple base stations connected by
wire, where there are multiple stars. New encapsulation is
necessary to avoid loops.

So, it is not a WLAN link layer but a virtual and inefficient
link layer over WLAN.

However, our goal is to let IP work over various link layers
as efficiently as possible using link specific properties.

> there also has been results mentioned on MANET
> about how 802.11e can assign higher priority to control packets to achieve
> more robust behavior.

Sure. But, not all WLAN cards support it.

							Masataka Ohta