Re: WLAN (was Re: IPv6 Host Configuration of Recursive DNS Server)

Hi Greg,

>> Anyway, back to the original topic, how do you think IPv6 hosts
>> should be configured with DNS server addresses?
>>
>> I think you and Pascal are saying it's not ND but PPP. Right?

> Actually, I think that DHCP is better (for recursive DNS
> configuration).

Not so bad.

Though PPP already invoves exchanges of so many packets, DHCP
does not make it worse, at least not so much.

> PPP was previously used for an (in my opinion) inappropriate
> number of  non-network oriented configurations.
>
> I really think that the PPP configuration should concentrate
> on what's needed to get packets traversing the L2 link.

Yup.

However, with the current DHCPv6, it means that IP address should
be configured by DHCP with four messages.

So, I think it's better to let DHCP directly use beacon capability
of the link without PPP tax (on MTU, on packet exchanges and on
politics to standardize PPP over WLAN (discovery mechanism of PPPoE
is useless, here)).

	Base station                  Terminal

                  --> 1. DHCP Advertise (broadcast over Beacon)

                  <-- 2. DHCP Request (unicast)

                  --> 3. DHCP Reply (unicast)

							Masataka Ohta