Re: WLAN (was Re: IPv6 Host Configuration of Recursive DNS Server)

Mohacsi Janos;

>>To me, WLAN happens to be a good example to show that ND is
>>a bad idea.

> Please be constructive.

First, we should discuss the problem to analyze the problem.

Then, we can be constructive.

Note also that, IMHO, ND is a destructive protocol discouraging
development of link specific protocols to accommodate IP.

That is, it is constructive to suggest to abandon ND.

> Do you have better idea than ND or ARP for WLAN
> type environment?

If you have followed the discussion closely, you should have
noticed that ARP is a lot better than ND in a typical
environment where WLANs are used as leaf of the Internet.

So, as a short term solution, I'd like to suggest to use ARP,
not ND, over WLAN.

As a long term solution, I already suggested

	1. periodic beacons from routers
	2. unicast request from hosts to routers
	3. unicast reply from routers

is the way to go.

However, I think most of ND specific (i.e., not available with ARP)
features, such as DAD, are difficult to be supported.

> Do you have method to get Layer-2 address information
> of your communicationg partner in WLAN? E.g Ask Access Point?

See above.

							Masataka Ohta