Joining of multicast groups for DAD and ND

Why MUST an interface join any multicast group for DAD and ND?

As I understand it, joining a multicast group is intended to inform routers
that multicast packets must be routed, but both DAD and ND ignore routed
packets by requiring the hop limit field to be 255.

Perhaps the problem is in my understanding of "join a multicast group", a term
which I do not find a definition for in RFC's 2460-2462. If it only refers to
informing the interface to receive packets on the specified multicast address,
my question is answered. If, however, it also refers to sending MLD report
messages as implied in RFC2462bis Section 5.4.2, my question stands.
Gerrit van Niekerk
GP van Niekerk Ondernemings BK
Roosstraat 211, Meyerspark, 0184, South Africa
Tel: +27(12)8036501 Fax: +27(12)8034131
Email: gerritvn@gpvno.co.za, gpvno@mweb.co.za
Web: http://www.gpvno.co.za