Re: IPv6 WG Last Call: draft-ietf-ipngwg-icmp-v3-04.txt

Brian,

Sorry to come in so late with this, but I have a comment on
this document. In several diagrams, we see the phrase:

  "As much of invoking packet as will fit without the
   ICMPv6 packet exceeding the minimum IPv6 MTU"

(A variation of this phrase also appears in section 2.4 (c),
accompanied by an even stronger "MUST include".)

In each of these instances, I would like to see: "will fit"
replaced by "possible", as in:

  "As much of invoking packet as possible without the
   ICMPv6 packet exceeding the minimum IPv6 MTU"

Reason is that: "will fit" is redundant with: "without ... exceeding
the minimum IPv6 MTU". Secondly, "will fit" when accompanied
by "MUST include as much of the IPv6 offending (invoking) packet"
in section 2.4 (c)  seems to presume that all implementations will
be able to efficiently access up to 1280 bytes of the offending packet
when generating the error, and in some cases this may not be possible.

Fred
ftemplin@iprg.nokia.com