Re: Joining of multicast groups for DAD and ND

Any at all i.e. the all-nodes multicast address, the solicited-node multicast
address of the tentative address (DAD), the all-routers multicast address on an
advertising interface and the solicited-node multicast address corresponding to
each of the IP addresses assigned to the interface (ND). The question is
specifically about the need to join multicast groups in the context of DAD and
ND.

On 27 Jun 2004 at 14:29, B wrote:

> > Why MUST an interface join any multicast group for DAD and ND?
> > As I understand it, joining a multicast group is intended to inform routers
> > that multicast packets must be routed, but both DAD and ND ignore routed
> > packets by requiring the hop limit field to be 255.
>
> > Perhaps the problem is in my understanding of "join a multicast group", a term
> > which I do not find a definition for in RFC's 2460-2462. If it only refers to
> > informing the interface to receive packets on the specified multicast address,
> > my question is answered. If, however, it also refers to sending MLD report
> > messages as implied in RFC2462bis Section 5.4.2, my question stands.
>
> Please be more specific.  Which multicast group(s) are you talking
> about here?
>
>      JINMEI, Tatuya
>      Communication Platform Lab.
>      Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
>      jinmei@isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp

Gerrit van Niekerk
GP van Niekerk Ondernemings BK
Roosstraat 211, Meyerspark, 0184, South Africa
Tel: +27(12)8036501 Fax: +27(12)8034131
Email: gerritvn@gpvno.co.za, gpvno@mweb.co.za
Web: http://www.gpvno.co.za