Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 8:20 PM
Subject: SSM or PIM-SSM

Dear all,

I am studying multicast IPv4 and IPv6 protocols and I have the following doubt.

As I can conclude SSM is an alternative to ASM model, so when I refer SSM is Source-Specific Multicast Model, but we can say that PIM protocol is composed by several types PIM-DM, PIM-SM, PIM-Bidir. It is correct say that PIM-SSM is another type of PIM, or we just refer SSM as routing protocol? There is any draft or RFC that defines PIM-SSM protocol? In my search I only see referred SSM, so when we referred SSM we do not distinguish if we are talking about multicast model or about multicast routing protocol.

Can you please clarify this notation?

Best Regards

António Manuel N. C. Amaral

Networks and Multimedia

Institute of Telecommunications - Aveiro

P-3810-193 AVEIRO - PORTUGAL
Phone: +351 234 377900

Fax: +351 234 377901

e-mail: aamaral@av.it.pt