Re: 2461bis: address resolution failure as a hard error?

>    The ICMP indication of local address resolution failure SHOULD be
>    treated as a hard error [RFC1122].
>
> (the language is a bit wishy-washy because I don't want all the
> address unreachable ICMP messages to be treated like this, just the
> ones which the host in question generated "internally")
>
> .. the justification is that if one tries to establish communications
> on a local link, or if the router has gone down and you can't send the
> packet to anyone, TCP should fail over and try another address (or
> address family); this is important e.g., if you have v4 and v6 on a
> link, and they go through different routers.

Two comments:
1. The term "local address resolution" isn't defined so I doubt the
   above text suggestion clearly communicates what you want to say.
2. I can see this as useful when there is an alternative (which is your
   motivation), but I'm concerned that treating it as a hard failure when there
   is no alternative is detrimental.

Another approach would be to attack the more general issue, which I would
state as "when there are alternatives, treat soft errors and an indication
to try an alternative".

   Erik