Re: clarifications regarding RFC3314/3177

Jordi,

As you imply, "one or more /64 prefixes" is in fact completely compatible
with "/64 or /48". As one of the culprits behind RFC 3177, I still
believe that once a subscriber needs to subnet, everything will be
much easier if the next step up is *always* a /48. Imagine the mess if
you give 3 adjacent /64s to one subscriber and 7 to the next, etc.
So I read the "more" case in RFC 3314 as invoking the /48
prefix case in RFC 3177. That is certainly the advice I would give
a 3G operator. Just keep things simple.

However, please remember that 3177 was only a recommendation to the
RIRs. It isn't the law. The RIRs developed their policy after
taking a lot of input, not just 3177.

    Brian