RE: IPv6 ULA

Pekka Savola wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004, Bob Hinden wrote:
> >> So, are you requiring that BGP will have to have a
> configuration knob
> >> to to special-case fc00::/7? (This cannot be done using
> the typical
> >> route-map/policy statements, because it has to be on by
> default and
> >> not interfere with the operators configuring their own policy.)
> >
> > Not exactly.  The intent is to suggest that border routers be
> > configured to do this.  We are not requiring knobs or special case
> > code for this.
>
> This is slightly different than what Tony is proposing, but
> let me state the problems I see with both:
>
>   1) operator configuration: many operators probably won't do
> that unless they have set up filters (many have, from 6bone
> times) to weed out unexpected prefixes.
>
>   2) vendor code: the only way to implement this in the sane
> manner would be having a 'allow-ula' -like knob for BGP.  You
> cannot configure this in the policies, because either a) the
> operator forgets about ULAs when writing the policy, or b)
> the policy does not exist and it isn't applied.
>
> So both would appear to have their problems, but 1) might be
> slightly better, especially if GROW WG would produce a BCP or
> some other document giving guidance on filtering.

Think in terms of the clueless operator that doesn't read BCP's or even know
they exist. My initial thought was a defaultl policy of FC00::/7 ->
/dev/null. This would allow any longer prefix to override, but would also
require explicit action to do so. Thinking in terms of BGP, the language of
accept/announce makes more sense, but as you note would require a knob to
allow any explicit action to override it. As I said, I am sure the text
needs work, but there appears to be a growing concern that 'just leave it to
the operators' is not going to work.

Tony