From: Bhaskar S <Bhaskar.s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Rajan Srivastava <rajan_srivastava@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPv6CP - rfc 2472 --- why only IID, why not prefix too
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:38:00 +0530

Hi Rajan,

When the PPP client received the IID, it can create its own Link-Local address.

Then if it needs a global address it can acquire a prefix from ND, using this Link-local
address. (Note: DHCP not required).

So if your client doesn't need a global your implementation won't need to do ND/DHCP.

Rajan Srivastava wrote:

> Hi Greg,
>
> Thanks for the kind & prompt response.
> What you mentioned is correct; but this kind of provision in IPv6 framework
> has resulted in more complex implementations.
>
> Eg., if PPP server would have allocated
> one prefix to PPP client (in IPv6CP) then the client would become a globally
> routable
> host; and the PPP client might use this prefix as per his requirements;
> and multiple prefix allotment could also take place in the same way as
> defined in IPv6 RFCs!
>
> But since things are not defined in this way, PPP client and
> server both have to have DHCPv6 client/server implemented
> on them; making both the systems (PPP client & server)
> more complex!
>
> Thanks & regards
> Rajan
>
> >From: Greg Daley <greg.daley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: Rajan Srivastava <rajan_srivastava@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >CC: ipv6@xxxxxxxx
> >Subject: Re: IPv6CP - rfc 2472 --- why only IID, why not prefix too
> >Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:09:05 +1100
> >
> >Hi Rajan,
> >
> >Rajan Srivastava wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>In rfc 2472, it is provisioned that PPP server will negotiate
> >>interface identifier with PPP client, server will not pass on network
> >>prefix;
> >>and prefix delegation is left for DHCPv6 etc.
> >>
> >>What is rationale behind this strategy?
> >
> >IP(v4)CP believes that the peer PPP device can only have one address.
> >
> >In IPv6, there's a lot more flexibility regarding prefix utilization
> >on a host or network.
> >
> >IPv6 Link-Local addresses have a fixed 64 bit upper portion, and so
> >the 64 bit token used for IP6CP may be usable to generate a valid
> >Link-Local address.
> >
> >Such an address can then be used in DHCP, or Neighbour Discovery.
> >
> >Since Router Discovery (part of Neighbour Discovery) can provide
> >multiple prefixes to a host, any one or more of these prefixes
> >may be used to autoconfigure an address.
> >
> >As you mentioned, prefix delegation caters to another set of devices:
> >those requiring networks/prefixes of addresses.
> >
> >Each fills its own requirement, and it doesn't necessarily make sense
> >to define another way to do this in IP6CP, since the assumptions
> >are different to IPv4.
> >

> >Yours Sincerely,
> >
> >Greg Daley

Thanks and Regards,

Bhaskar S.
Ph: +91-80-26012284
 [ ]    General Business Information
 [x]    Motorola Internal Use only
 [ ]    Motorola Confidential Proprietary
    POPI -  A Responsibility we all share

Choose what you want to read. Protect your mail from spam. http://server1.msn.co.in/sp04/hotmailspamcontrol/ Win the war in 9 steps!