Re: kernel crash with tc

On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 08:32:20PM +0200, Dave J. wrote:

> I was testing diffserv on a 2.2.10 kernel (AMD K6) that had been patched
> with Alan Cox's patch-2.2.10-ac10. I get a consistent oops and crash
> after running the Edge32-ca-u32 example script that ships with diffserv
> 6. The crash happens upon issuing the following command:
>
> tc qdisc del dev eth0 root
>
> Version 6 of diffserv
> Version 063099 of tc
>
> Obviously this doesn't happen with 2.2.10 kernels that haven't been
> patched with ac patches, so that's what I'm using now. But something
> is going on, I figured someone might be interested. Following is the
> output from ksymoops.
>
> Let me know if you need more info.
>

> -davej
>

> No modules in ksyms, skipping objects
> Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 5a5a5a6a
                                                            ^^^^^^^^

The -acX kernels are compiled with slab poisioning per default, which
means that all memory is overwriten with 5a5a5a5a on freeing to uninitialized
memory bugs.  This just happened here. Interesting is that it
ends with 6x, so the lower byte has been modified, but not the upper
bytes. So something is not setting up its structures fully.

-Andi
--
This is like TV. I don't like TV.