The word police in the u32 filter..

Hi,
I am trying to look at some adaptive packet marking schemes..

I realize that that I would need to change code and most of it would
have to do with the TBF..I think..

I would like to know what exactly happens when u add the keyword police
and it's parameters in the line::

tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 4 u32 match ip dst 10.0.0.0/24
police rate 1MBit burst 2K continue flowid 1:1

I know what it does in the script and it works fine for me..I want to
know what part of the kernel code kicks in to do this policing...

Thx,
Arni