examples broken?

Hi,

I'm trying to get the example in the iproute examples directory to work but
my set-up gets hung up whenever I do the add filter.

'tc filter add dev eth1 parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 1 tcindex mask 0xfc
shift 2'

I get

RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument

BTW: not a very useful error message as it does not say which argument is
invalid.

My set-up is exactly as directed from the HOWTO with linux 2.2.10 with
version 6 patches and iproute2-2.2.4-now-ss990630.tar.gz

Is there any information on the structure of the command tc filter?

Regards,

Duncan