ds patches for statistics

Hi,
Jamal wrote:

>Do you have any numbers/findings you would like to share?

No, at this moment, but we'll start tests soon;

>- it is a bad idea to use the general skb->stamp in case
>some other code (from ingress towards egress) uses it. why dont you
create
>your own variable on the skb?

yes, but my idea was that taking the time stamp in netif_rx, I have only
a more accurated value: does it disturb the other codes?
Moreover, if I create my own variable, than I have to call two funcions
in netif_rx (do_gettimeofday and get_fast_time) for each packet. I was
thinking that it can be too heavy. Isn't it?

> - the rate measurement: You need to use some averaging algorithm (look
at
>the policer code) to average over long periods of time. In your scheme,

>the "last valid b/w utilization" will be reported. Think of a situation

>where you have a long period of inactivity (i.e no packet arrivals);
you
>invoke tc and it instead reports the last one stored in the kernel.

Yes, I'm now working to fix it.

>- could your tables in the kernel be overwritten at some point with
some
>invalid data? eg in the situation where there are long periods of
>idleness.

I can't see how tables could be overwritten. Maybe I misunderstood your
question?

>- In your scheme, you have to change every qdisc that you want to
>participate in the "profiling". You might want to sync with Ole
Husgaard
><sparre@login.dknet.dk> -- i am not sure if he is on this mailing list
>Ole has a nice scheme with a classful qdisc which you "wrap around"
>a qdisc that you want to "profile". I dont think he had the concept of
>profiling rates and latencies, this is something you could add. His was
>more sort of a tcpdump/sniffer-tracer for qdiscs. i.e it would show you
>traces of the path that a packet takes as it wiggles its way through
the
>qdisc membrane.

Yes. In this first step I've considered only cbq, for it is the only one
that we're using for our tests.

Regards

Giacomo Sergio