Re: Linux Qos Slides

On Fri, 26 Nov 1999, jamal wrote:
> I am hoping it will reduce some of the basic questions that
> pop up on the mailing list here (and on linuxnet).
> Enjoy!
> cheers,
> jamal

Hi Jamal et al,

Some time ago you kindly helped me to begin setting up shaping of 56K
lines for sites through out our province. Many thanks again to you and the
other gurus . It appears we are beginning to have a successfull
ramp-up-roll-out of 486DX/2 66 16meg boxes with 250meg HD for libraries
limited to 56K frame links, using these boxes as the link to the outside
world.

We use squid / ftp-proxy, set the mss/windowsize to 536/1072 and shape
traffic giving priority to telnet type apps using CBQ.

After reading the slides (not quite through them yet:(), I saw the
concerns with b/w, bands and priomap. I have included a typical shaping
script I use to shape the interface that connects to the 56K router. I set
the qdisc to 10M, but the classes to 56K. I noticed that appeared to make
it shape more accurately, but this seems to contradict the b/w note about
not lying about the b/w available... So I am (likely) wrong?

I also have not used the bands and priomap parrameters... Should I be?

take care,
JES
--
James B. MacLean        macleajb@ednet.ns.ca
Department of Education http://www.ednet.ns.ca/~macleajb
Nova Scotia, Canada
B3M 4B2
#!/bin/sh
tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: cbq bandwidth 10Mbit \
        cell 8 avpkt 512 mpu 64 allot 1514
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:1 cbq bandwidth 56Kbit \
        rate 35Kbit avpkt 512 prio 3 isolated allot 1514 \
        weight 1 maxburst 21
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:2 cbq bandwidth 56Kbit \
        rate 30Kbit avpkt 512 prio 4 allot 1514 \
        weight 1 maxburst 21
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:3 cbq bandwidth 56Kbit \
        rate 4Kbit avpkt 512 prio 4 allot 1514 \
        weight 1 maxburst 21
tc class add dev eth0 parent 1:0 classid 1:4 cbq bandwidth 56Kbit \
        rate 20Kbit avpkt 512 prio 5 bounded allot 1514 \
        weight 1 maxburst 21 split 1:0 defmap 0xffff
tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 protocol ip prio 5 handle 1: u32 \
        divisor 1
tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 5 u32 \
        match ip sport 0x6e 0xffff \
        flowid 1:2
tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 5 u32 \
        match ip dport 0x6e 0xffff \
        flowid 1:2
tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 5 u32 \
        match ip sport 0x3e0 0xffff \
        flowid 1:1
tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 5 u32 \
        match ip dport 0x3e0 0xffff \
        flowid 1:1
tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 5 u32 \
        match ip sport 0x17 0xffff \
        flowid 1:1
tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 5 u32 \
        match ip dport 0x17 0xffff \
        flowid 1:1
tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 5 u32 \
        match ip sport 0x16 0xffff \
        flowid 1:1
tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 5 u32 \
        match ip dport 0x16 0xffff \
        flowid 1:1
tc filter add dev eth0 parent 1:0 prio 5 u32 \
        match u8 0x10 0xff at 33 flowid 1:3