Which kernel for DiffServ

Good afternoon,

We are in the process of setting up two, later three or more, Linux
based diffserv routers. Currently we have the hardware and enough
knowledge of Linux to get things running. What is needed is the
advice of what kernel version we should use.

The current distribution seems to be for kernel version 2.2.10 but
it would be interesting to work with 2.3 series kernel and help to
iron out the remainig bugs, if any. After taking a look at Alexey's
softnet patches, it looks like the diffserv support is already
included with them. Also, iproute2-2.2.4-now-ss991023 seems to
contain everything that the userland needs.

Once we got the routers configured, our plan is to setup monitoring
as specified in the QBone architecture document,
http://www.internet2.edu/qos/qbone/ and eventually get on the QBone.
As the QBone architecture paper mandates, all the measurement data
will be available for anyone who wishes to take a look at it.

So if anyone can recommend which version of kernel and utilites we
should get, please let us and the list know.

Thanks,

// Heikki
--
Heikki Vatiainen                  * hessu@cs.tut.fi
Tampere University of Technology  * Tampere, Finland