Re: Port based classifier setup

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Panagiotis Stathopoulos wrote:

> Hi all!
> In order to use Linux as an edge router with microflow classification a
> mechanism must exist to set up new markers, shapers etc based on the new
> port number an application has bind. For example when an ftp request is
> performed in port 21 a new instance of ftp is forked at another port
> number >1024. Are there any ideas or experience in solving this problem?

Without stateful classification this is a hard problem.
All the current classifiers are not stateful although it is feasible to
write one that is.
If you are talking about the app itself running on the edge router and
selecting the classification then this is something that has been in the
plan for quiet sometime but we havent had the time to work out the details
yet.

cheers,
jamal