marking ip packets

Hi,
 I am very new to Diffserv on linux.I have installed diffserv router on
linux kernel 2.2.10. I was wondering how can I mark the IP packets. I have
read  this
   draft-almesberger-wajhak-diffserv-linux-01.txt .
 The perl script of EF and AF in  /examples/diffserv works but everytime BE
class is detected because I don't know how to put marking on the packets.
I tried these EDGE scripts(given in the same directory) but everytime I get
match ,police commands not found .

Can anyone advice me how to do this?Or can anyone send me the working script
?

rgds,

Rohit Joshi
eng60756@nus.edu.sg