Re: drop levels with trTCM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2000, Petri Mattila wrote:

> Hello!
>
> It is suggested to use something like this for trTCM filtering:
>
>   if !exceed meter1 tag as AF41
>          else
>              if !exceed meter2  tag as AF42
>                  else
>                    if !exceed meter 3 tag as AF43
>                        else
> 		   drop
>

> And the question: what is a reasonable value for meter3 CIR
> compared to link speed... namely the problem is if I set
> it less than the link speed is, this aggregate won't get the
> whole link capasity if the link is otherwise unused... and if
> I set it higher than link capasity, is it usefull any more?

I would think meter1+meter2+meter3 should not be greater than the link
capacity;

> Or maybe I should let GRED+CBQ handle all droppings?

Assuming you have more than one input interface going towards an egress
interface, then the possibility of overloading teh egress interface is
there (fan-in problem). I suppose a little engineering would help; but in
the worst case you can let GRED+CBQ handle the drops.

cheers,
jamal