Edge and Core Mode at the same time

Hi,
I need some help.
My scenario is as follows: I use linux to enforce traffic conditioning.
Only one host is supposed to do  the work of an edge and core router.
The application does not set the appropriate TOS in the IP header.

I try to setup a node as Edge and Core router. First an u32 filter should
select the packet into the right class. I would like to use a tbf for ef,
gred for af and red for be. I have already checked some sample scripts but
none of them gave me hints how to use gred without using tcindex. I tried
to use dsmark to police the traffic and mark but it was not possible to do
all other functions of traffic conditioning at the same time.

Thanks for your help,

Matthias