Re: Policing

Carlos Parada wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm doing some tests using metering and policing traffic; and I see that when
> I police traffic at less than 800 Kbit it works fine (remark the excedent
> packets); but when I put a higher value (for example 1 Mbps, 2Mbps) it do
> policing at 800 Kbit.

Depending on your setup, you can be making a mistake in your
experimentation.

I had a similar problem once: i used a program (ttcp) to send packets
from one machine to another. No matter how fast the connection was, I
could only transmit at a maximum rate of 3.6 Mbps.

I finally discovered what went wrong: ttcp dumped the packets it
received to the standard output. Since I was using TCP, the program was
limited by the rate at which the screen could display the packets. The
TCP flow control mechanisms were limiting the transmission speed to that
of the display. Fun, isn't it? And quite stupid.

Once the problem was located, it was very easy to solve. I just had to
redirect the output from ttcp to /dev/nul.

This may be or may not be your case. I just hope it helps.

cheers

	Mariano Korman