From: Akihiko Nishitani [mailto:akihiko@osinw1.osiplus.co.jp]
Sent: Wednesday, July 26, 2000 1:20 PM
To: linux-diffserv@lrc.di.epfl.ch
Subject: DiffServ installation probrem.

Hello,

We have tried to install Differentiated Services on Linux, release 8
to execute the DiffServ sample program on redhat-Linux-6.2J
(kernel 2.2.14).
But it did't work well in installing DiffServ8.

We performed the following steps.

1)install redhat-Linux-6.2J from CD-ROM.(full install by custom mode)
2)download ds-8.tar.gz from ftp://icaftp.epfl.ch/pub/linux/diffserv/dist/
site.
3)download iproute2-2.2.4-now-ss991023.tar.gz from
  ftp://icaftp.epfl.ch/pub/linux/diffserv/mirror/ site.
4)decompress the downloaded ds-8.tar.gz.
5)decompress the downloaded iproute2-2.2.4-now-ss991023.tar.gz.
6)we stepped following sequence according to README in ds directory.
  6-1)install kernel source code from CD-ROM at the Kernel installation
process.
  6-2)to install kernel.patch, we ran patch command

At the 6-2), we could get no response.

We waited for more than 1 day, however could get no response from the path
command, where the patch command was executed on root-user mode.

We wish if anyone have more information for the above probrem.

README for installing DiffServ is as follows.

Differentiated Services on Linux, release 8

General information: http://icawww1.epfl.ch/linux-diffserv/

Kernel installation:
 - get linux-2.2.14 from your favourite mirror
 - if it's .tar.gz, then
     tar xvfz linux-2.2.14.tar.gz
   if it's .tar.bz2, then
     tar xfI linux-2.2.14.tar.bz2
   or, if your tar does not support the I option
     bzcat linux-2.2.14.tar.bz2 | tar xf -
 - cd linux

 - patch -p1 -s </your-ds-directory/patches/kernel.patch  << no response!

- make xconfig
   or
   make menuconfig
 - be sure to enable the following options
     Code maturity level options
       Prompt for development and/or incomplete code/drivers YES
     Networking options
       Kernel/User netlink socket YES
         Routing messages YES
       Network firewalls YES
       TCP/IP networking YES
         IP: firewalling YES
           IP: firewall packet netlink device YES
       QoS and/or fair queueing YES
         ... and everything in "QoS and/or fair queueing"
 - make bzImage
 - copy the new kernel to a suitable place, if necessary, inform your boot
   loader, then boot the new kernel
 - make sure /usr/src/linux points to the headers of your new kernel
   (alternatively, you can change also the TC configuration, see below)

TC installation:
 - get iproute2-2.2.4-now-ss991023.tar.gz from
   ftp://icaftp.epfl.ch/pub/linux/diffserv/mirror/
   or from
   ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-routing/
 - tar xfz iproute2-2.2.4-now-ss991023.tar.gz from
 - cd iproute2
 - patch -p1 -s </your-ds-directory/patches/iproute2.patch
 - if necessary, change KERNEL_INCLUDE in Makefile
 - make
 - copy tc/tc to a convenient place somewhere in your PATH

Scripts:
 - the scripts are now distributed with iproute2, see
   iproute2/examples/diffserv/README
 - note that you have to change the TC and DEV variables to reflect
   the situation on your system