Re: A question about priorities

I think Andi answered it nicely; but let me add my 2 cents:

In prio as long as there is data to be dequeued in the higher priority
queue, prio will favor the higher queue. In the case of the UDP example,
as you noticed 100% utilization for the higher prio. In the case of TCP,
i suspect some packet might have been dropped and TCP backed off and so
the equilibrium of sharing is reached that way.
Try, one:

- attach a TBF to the higher priority queue and give it bandwidth 10Mbps
- attach a TBF to the lower prio and give it a b/width of 5Mbps
Reverse the above.

or two:
- attach bfifo queus to both the low and high priority.
Compute the RTT*BW worth of bytes and make that the queue limit of the
higher prio queue or just simply make the higher prio queue size
twice that of the lower prio;

For UDP, it shouldnt make a difference but for TCP you should notice some
changes.

cheers,
jamal