Re: Comments on Setup

On Mon, 7 Aug 2000, Charles Tassell wrote:

> I've got a T1 connection to the Internet, and I'm trying to limit one of
> our customers from sucking up all our bandwidth.  I've come up with the
> following script which seems to work fine in a test area of 4 or 5
> machines, but I'm wondering if there is anything I should be looking out
> for when I put it on the full network, with thousands of IP connections
> going through it instead of just the 10-20 I have going in my tests.  Any
> comments would be appreciated.

Should still be the same setup; except now more flows will be fighting for
the same bandwidth. TCP shares nicely -- so for n flows in the same class
allocated x bps total: when all are active over a long period of time, you
should see x/n bps for each flow; so as n goes up, the fair share of each
flow in the same class will go down.

cheers,
jamal