Low delay

I've been experimenting with linux qos support, and found out that even if I
don't configure any queuing discipline, class or filter, packets with the
TOS octet containing the value correspondant to "low delay" as per RFC1349
are always proccessed with higher priority and also have a lower drop rate
than other packets (in my experiments, 0%).
My questions:
1 - Is this behaviour hardcoded in the TCP/IP stack?
2 - Can it be turned off?
3 - Are the other Type of Service bits also interpreted (it wasn't clear
from my experiments)?

Thanks in advance.

Rui Prior